Spa days are good for the Seoul

I've been full of Seoul puns since we got here and I'm sure my friends are really sick of seeing them on my Instagram but it hasn't stopped me yet!

When I found out I was accepted to this program, I knew I wanted to have a spa day in South Korea. Korean beauty products are all the rage right now so I figured their spas had to be great too. I found a spa that was highly rated and booked appointments for Caroline and I to get the "Diamond Package" which included a massage, nail design, facial, and a skin treatment.

Dragon Hill SpaEntrance to spa

Fast forward to now...when we got to the spa today, we tried to explain that we had booked this package and they kept shaking their heads "no" at us. Luckily, there was an employee who spoke English (probably for people like us...you'll understand soon) who came over to help us. We told her what we had booked and she explained that the package we chose isn't offered anymore. We told her we wanted to do the next package down and she looked at us with horror in her eyes and assured us we didn't want to do it. Apparently what we had signed up for (in both packages) was to get fully nude and, quite literally, boil ourselves. She said it was a common treatment among Korean women (not sure what the benefit is) but that she would not recommend it to anyone because the water is so hot that it burns you and you're sitting in a hole with all naked women. We quickly told her this is not what we wanted and opted for just the massage.

Laying on floor of spa

After she helped us get oriented with the spa, and showed us around the 10+ saunas, game room (yes, I'm serious), and the changing area, we went to get our massages. Don't be fooled - these are not relaxing. I've never had someone dig into my back so hard. It was incredibly painful, but I knew it would help get out the tension. The massages are not conducted in quiet rooms either - our masseuses talking to each other, leaving to go answer the phone, and the obnoxious music from the video games outside all made for an interesting experience.

Doorway

We spent some time in the different saunas after our massages were finished. Each sauna is a different temperature with a "theme." The first one we sat in was a "rock salt" room. People were laying in the rocks and on the floor (apparently that's normal) and it's a relaxing experience. The next two were shaped like the ancient pyramids - one was scented and the other was a "jade" room. There were three igloo saunas - one freezing and two very hot.

Salt SaunaSaunaJade Sauna

We played a game before leaving to get the full experience then headed on our way.

All this being said, I'm very glad we went and experienced a true Korean "spa," although it wasn't the same luxurious, relaxing experience we get at a spa in America. My back was sore for days to the point of feeling deeply, deeply bruised, but I don't feel as tense anymore. I'd probably visit again, but it's not something I'd need to add to my routine and I'll know what to expect next time.

Fountain