Trail Network in Korea

Trails and Maps in Korea:

Busan_Ocean

Busan_Ocean

While I am here in Korea, I am also training for Boston Marathon.  This means that I need to do several long runs, if I want to feel good while running Boston.  I ran several times while here.  My longest runs have been 18 and 19.5 miles.  I was a little unsure how enjoyable these runs would be as I didn’t know if there would be trails. I was also, told that Asia in general, there are a lot of people, so I was also prepared to weave through crowds. Once I did get here, I learned that  Naver is the best app to view trails and roads and get directions in Korea (not google maps).  I found an amazing trail network in Busan, I was able to run 18 miles easily with-out issues, it was also scenic. I didn’t have time to run in Seoul; however, I may have time on the way home.  Once in the Pyeongchang region, I needed to get that 20 miler in.  Again, I was able to find trails to keep me running for about 20 miles.  They converted a wetlands area in to a trail network. Additionally, there are a couple miles of trail along the beach, that is enjoyable to run.  In both regions (Peyongchang and Buson) there were several local people running, not just me, we smiled and wave as we passed each other.

Below are a couple pictures or my route and the views along the way. Bottom line, I recommend packing your running shoes and rent a bike when you come to Korea!

Bridge on Trail

Bridge on Trail

Busan Trails

Gangneung Trails

Gangneung_Center

Gangneung_Center