Leaving For Korea!

Korean Air From Dulles
Korean Air From Dulles

Korean Air is one of the official Korean Olympic sponsors for the Games. I was lucky enough that I found an direct flight on Korean Air on Korean Air.  So far, it’s been great! The flight staff have been super nice, one thing that took me aback was just how polished the flight attendance are.  My last flight was to/from Germany (very different experience). They had a couple items with PyeongChang 2018 Olympic branding. One was a sleep pack for the trip another was a magazine. This was the magazine for the airlines.

Morning Calm
Morning Calm

The Morning Calm had a picture of the Korean bobsled team on the front and magazine included articles about food in the regions near PyeongChang as well as a short overview of the Olympics.  Unfortunately, I forgot to reserve a seat, so I am stuck in the middle for the next 13 hours (lesson learned). Also, if you are flying from Dulles, I recommend doing web check-in. Once you get there, there may be a smaller line for web check in, as there are no automated kiosks for faster check in– I only check 2 items at it was free.  There are other people there with several boxes with shipping locations… I am not sure what that was all about, may be someone can explain that to me later.

Arriving at the Inchon incheon airport was pretty easy going, after landing I needed to stop and get my credentials laminated, the Olympic Welcome Center process was easy to find, and the line moved quickly.

ncheon Airport Credential Stop
Incheon Airport Credential Stop

I was able wonder around the airport for a bit because had a transfer to Busan to see a friend before heading back to Seoul. I kept a look out for Olympic merchandise and marketing.

Marketing was subtle, Samsung had a large screen and interactive demos.

Olympic Gear Available in Incheon Airport

It took awhile to find any Olympic branded merchandise.  They only store I found was by gate 252 in the transfer terminal, that was marketed for the Olympics!

They do warn you to expect an increased time for additional screening through customs.

Increased Security Screening